Hire freelance graduates and students, get jobs done!
We are all adults and are aware of the need to look after ourselves.
However, the fact remains that there are some extremely unpleasant people around so please think about the following suggestions when using this site. Your safety is paramount and at studentgems.com it is taken very seriously.
- Do not enter your personal details onto your profile. Only reveal them when you feel comfortable and when it is necessary.
- Remember some people are not who they say they are. Do some research. Get a landline telephone number and speak to them over the phone. Dial 141 before dialling to protect your number.
- Keep it clean.
- Suggestive and inappropriate names could attract unwanted attention. They will also be removed.
- If anyone is bugging you, cut off all communication with them and contact us. We will look into it and take appropriate steps if necessary.
- Your first meeting should be in a busy and public place during daylight hours.
- Tell someone you can trust what you are doing, where you are going and when you expect to be back.
- Don’t consume excessive amounts of alcohol, as your judgement can be severely affected by this. This could cause all of your planning to be wasted!
- If your plans change, let that someone know. They can’t watch your back if they don’t know what you are doing.
- Take a phone so you can be contacted. It may seem obvious, but ensure you have a fully charged battery. Remember the emergency number 999 is free.
- Make sure you know where you are going and how you are going to get there and back.
- Be in control and make your own transport arrangements. Do not accept lifts from strangers.
General Safety Tips
Out and About
- Wear clothes that give out the correct signals: you can dress how you like, but bear in mind that society has unwritten rules about what to wear in different situations. Make sure what you are wearing does not give out the wrong impression.
- If you are returning home after dark, think about things such as the route you are taking or where your car is parked. If in doubt, arrange for a friend or two to meet you.
- Keep any valuable items out of sight.
- Listening to music means that you are distracted and not necessarily paying attention to what is going on around you. It also means that you have something valuable on display. Be aware.
- Think about where you are talking on your mobile phone and who is listening to your conversation – are you giving out too much information that could be overheard and used inappropriately.
- Keep safe - if in doubt, don’t.
- Do not take any unnecessary risks.
- Trust your intuition and use your common sense.
- Have you considered carrying a personal alarm?