Creative, culturally sensitive, multi-lingual, hardworking solutions orientated Mechanical & Materials Engineer with extensive experience and exposure to China & Japan. Having constantly move countries, I can quickly and efficiently adapt to new situations and environments, while also learning any new skills needed. My goal is to be a leader of a design team in year’s time.
[log in for details] (Joint Hons) Mechanical & Materials Engineering (2:2) Sep 2008 - May 2011
University of Birmingham, West Midlands, England
• Thesis titled: The Effect of Ageing Temperature on Continuous and Discontinuous precipitation in AZ91 Aluminium Alloy
• Designing a multi directional wheel, next generation wireless games console controller and bulkhead fitting for Design and Professional Skills module
• Designed a step down gear box for a 2 man acrobatic airplane for Mechanical Design module
• Identifying how the microstructure of a material effects its mechanical properties and what can be done to alter it
A Levels Sep 2006 - May 2008
Heathside Sixth Form College, Surrey, England
• A Level: Mechanical Mathematics (B), Physics (C), Design & technology: Systems & Control (B)
• AS Level: Computing (C)
I-GCSE Sep 2004 - May 2006
Yew Chung International School (YCIS), Beijing, China
Mathematics (A), ICT (A), Combined Sciences (double award) (B), English (B), Geography (B), & Mandarin (B - non examined school’s assessment of my attainment)
AWARDS & LEADERSHIP
• Captain of Yew Chung Intl School (YCIS) basketball team – fund raised $100s to cover national tournament travel costs
• Basketball MVP (Most Valuable Player) award for YCIS varsity basketball team
• Languages: Native UK English, Mandarin, Basic Cantonese, Basic Japanese
• Programs: Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Project, Access, Powerpoint), Adobe Dreamweaver, MATlab, Free Pascal Compiler, Easy-PC, FEA and CFD
• CAD/CAM, Rendering: Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Powershape, Solidworks
• Analytical machines: SEM, DSC, FTIR
University of Birmingham, School of Metallurgy and Materials
Jun 2010 – Aug 2010
Materials Research Assistant, Sensors & Composites Group
Reporting to Prof Gerard F Fernando (Head of Sensors and Composites Group), assisting in the research of ‘The spreading of e-glass fibres in composite materials’ – spreading of e-glass fibres enhance impregnations of resin in the fibres, which in turn improves the mechanical properties of the composite.
• Writing reports and constructing excel spreadsheets for experiments
• Carrying out and recording multiple experiments
• Utilising special equipment such as high power microscopes to capture images of the microstructure of samples
• Monitoring the Pultrusion process, a manufacturing process in production composites
Quickly learnt to use various new equipment & software, increasing my productivity; worked in a team & project managed environment in which meetings and deadlines were set & met – gained valuable hands on experience and insight on team discipline, how organisations and teams work together.
O’Briens Sandwich Bar June 2006 – July 2006
Assisted with the launch of the first O’Briens franchise in Beijing. Working 12hr shifts from the afternoon to early mornings, developing my retail knowledge and communication skills – achieved the goal & skill of making the customer feel welcome and processing their order efficiently.
Family Inc Various School Holidays
Handy Man’s Mate
Assisting family with various handyman repairs & maintenance tasks in its investment properties. E.g. painting, putting up shelves, & building flat-pack furniture.
• Basketball: Passionate & active member of The University of Birmingham basketball Team
• Dancing: Hip Hop. Performed in the 6th form talent show
• Music: Drums, Electric Guitar
• PC: designed & built custom £1200 gaming optimised PC system from scratch; configuring maintaining & troubleshooting family WLAN network & PCs
• Drawing: Graphics, doodles – and design drawings for projects.
References available upon request